Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Why Roger Waters isn't on the new Pink Floyd album

I'm a big Pink Floyd fan, I love David Gilmour's guitar work and his vocals. And Roger Waters song writing in Pink Floyd was some of the best in the history of music in my opinion. For me personally, Pink Floyd hit it's stride with Meddle and then got better and better for the next few albums. Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here, and Animals are amazing records. The Wall is incredible and many people point to it as the biggest and best. But not for me, The Wall has some amazing music but there is quite a bit of it I don't care for. That's me and I'm sure there are people who will disagree with me but I digress.

So a few days ago we all saw the news. A new Pink Floyd album, based on music that Richard Wright had written around the time of The Division Bell. Awesome! The Division Bell is a great album in it's own right. It's not in the same league with anything from the 70's but it shouldn't be. It's a more tasteful, thoughtful and elegant album than any of the earlier stuff. It was 20 years later. So why are people upset that Roger isn't involved? Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Roger quit the band in the early 80's?

Would this album be different if Roger was involved? Of course. Would it be better? I doubt it. The most interesting thing Roger has done since leaving Pink Floyd is... uhm... play Pink Floyd music he wrote in the 70's! I'm sure there are people who have enjoyed his albums since he left Pink Floyd but I could care less about them. I have however enjoyed Momentary Lapse of Reason, and The Division Bell. No they aren't Animals or Dark Side but they hold up on their own. And I absolutely love On an Island and David Gilmour Live in Gdansk. His playing and tone on Gdansk are incredible.

Every time I see someone arguing about a band who broke up, especially when one or more of the band members are known for being an over the top, arrogant egomaniac I just can't understand where they are coming from. It's like watching a toddler try and put a square peg in a round hole. And here is why. If for some reason you've got Ten Million bucks in the bank (and I'm assuming Mr. Gilmour has at least that) there are certain types of people you don't have to deal with anymore. It doesn't matter what the record company wants, it doesn't matter what people you don't know want (I'm talking about the fans here). You don't have to deal with them. period. You've got more than enough money to do anything you want. If Mr. Gilmour wants to go on tour he'll make money without Roger. Would he make more with him? Probably, but he does NOT need it. So why would he work with him? There really is no incentive for him to do so.

No comments:

Post a Comment