Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Does it matter how fast can you tune?

I saw this a while back and while the whole thing is pretty interesting but the part that amazed me was at 9:17. Tony McManus retunes that guitar into an open tuning in about 10 seconds. So I timed myself, it takes me about 60 seconds to tune my guitar maybe a little more depending on what I'm doing. So I think that tuning a guitar to an entirely different tuning in 10 seconds, by ear, is pretty impressive. But then when I'm watching a free lesson on youtube where someone is tuned a half step down and people are complaining about it being in a different tuning I just can't believe it. First off it's a free lesson! Often, with the half step down thing its a Stevie Ray Vaughn or Jimi Hendrix song which was played in half step down to begin with. Secondly it's just not that hard. I'm not trying to call anyone out here but think about it. If it takes you longer than 60 seconds to retune your guitar maybe, just maybe, you should practice tuning your guitar. I'm not trying to be an egotistical guy here either. When I saw Tony McManus do that I knew I had work to do. I have several guitars but because of my kids I only leave two out at a time. One in standard tuning and one in half step down. One in my living room and one in my office. I used to grab the other one if I needed it but now I make myself retune no matter what. Locking system? who cares, let's stop making excuses. Honestly if it's to much trouble, give up on the instrument now, and I'm not saying that to be mean but really retuning a guitar is pretty easy. If that's the toughest thing you have to do today thank the guitar gods for your blessed life.

No comments:

Post a Comment