Friday, March 2, 2012

Rambling through time and music

I've always been into music. When I was a kid I played music all the time, and listened to all kinds of music. Gospel, country, rock, broadway. It was all around me. My mom had a box of cheap instruments a triangle, sand blocks, a kazoo and a few other things. They bought me a cheap drum kit that I tore up within a few days. I think I was 5 or 6. My older sister wanted to learn piano and spent hours practicing. I would wait till she was gone and go figure out what she was playing by ear. Here and there people would show me stuff. I took piano lessons but my teacher fired me because I would just play by ear instead of reading the music and learning it her way. I was already playing stuff more complicated than what she was teaching me and I was bored. In middle school we had band and since everyone else was playing trumpet I picked the trombone. I remember my dad had an acoustic guitar but he never played it, there was an electric in our house to for a while. Neither of them were tuned but I would strum the strings and feel the vibrations. It was magic but I didn't know anyone who played. Just after I graduated high school in 1990 a couple of guys I was working with played guitar. I bought an old Gibson Sonex 180 Delux from a guy I knew. They started showing me stuff. One of them was real good. I still have that guitar, I love it. I don't play it as much these days but when I do its like coming home. Its so familiar and comforting but never quite as good as you remember. One of the problems I've always dealt with is that I can't focus on any one thing long enough to really nail it. I have to walk away from it and come back to it. I remember reading an interview with Steve Vai, he was saying that he would practice a single phrase until he nailed it. That he wouldn't eat or even go to the bathroom until he got it perfect. I can't do that. One minute I'm playing Van Halen, the next I'm playing Hendrix, (not as good as either) or trying to figure out how to play the piano parts to bohemian rhapsody on the guitar. I'm just kind of rambling here, but I figured Id put up some background.

9 comments:

  1. Hey! This is the third time in my life I've taken up the guitar, but the first time since I've been diagnosed with ADHD. Don't know if it's the Ritalin or that I understand my brain wiring now, but I'm really enjoying the hell out of learning & spending lots of time with it. Like you, I'm all over the place. From trying violin licks with a slide to practicing fingering for the keyboard on the fretboard. Wild & Crazy Stuff. I wonder where it will go...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for taking a look. I haven't posted anything in a bit but I'm planning on writing a few pieces on dealing with the ADHD part of it. I haven't taken Ritalin in years but I remember it helping. Another thing is to examine your diet, something else I wan't to write a post on. Cutting out excess sugars and stimulants, I met one guy who went vegan and that seemed to help him. Understanding how your brain works helps a lot. Good luck with your journey.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, the diet thing. Been trying to do it for like ever. Old school vegetarian. I have to make myself eat when I'm in hyperfocus orbit. Making friends with my brain wiring system is what helps me. I just keep on creating extreme & bizzare ways to experiment with music so I will stick with it. Just curious, do you sing also?.........

      Delete
    3. I don't think I sing well, so I've never worked at singing and playing at the same time. I used to spend a lot of time working on odd noises to throw into songs. At one point I could play all of the piano and guitar parts to Bohemian Rhapsody on the guitar using both hands on the fretboard. These days I've been digging into the classics trying to see what I missed. It's all good stuff though.

      Delete
  2. I have a very limited singing range. I sing while trying to "put it all together" - the strumming, licks, etc. fitting with the lyrics - words & meaning. So I sing in a low range. But if I scream or yell or make funky-blues-gonna-die sounds, I hit the high note dead on. But make me sing it with words & it don't fly. Weird.
    But, Bohemian Rhapsody disected & reanimated on the fretboard. You got the Passion for the Song! Great Tribute to Freddy & Queen's Genius! So, hey, thanks for the Feedback. I'm pretty isolated.
    So, do you read music or what? My ADHD brain is so overwhelmed by the variety of notation formats that sometimes I play in the dark & pretend I'm Jeff Healy. Think of all the musical ecstacy in Rock & Roll Heaven! Good God Ya'll...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha, I know what you mean about "funky-blues-gonna-die sounds". As far as reading music, When I was in middle school I played trombone, and had to read somewhat, then I took piano lessons, but I would listen to the teacher show me how to play it and then figure it out by ear. When I 1st started to learn guitar, I had a friend who showed me rock stuff, and I took lessons from a classical teacher. So I learned to read music again. But now days if you put sheet music in front of me I have no idea. Honestly between YouTube and tabs I don't think most people need to. This gives me a great idea for a post. thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just curious, if you can play a trombone, seems like you'd be great at slide? I'm experimenting with slides because it sounds like my guitar is drunk. It makes me laugh. Playing a violin is on my Bucket List, so I figured I need to see if I can play a non-tempered instrument. Does that make any sense?

      Delete
    2. The trombone was several years before the guitar, and a different hand but the idea is the same. You have to stop on exactly the right spot or it won't be in tune. Funny you should say that the violin is on your bucket list. I always said if I ever get bored with the guitar I'm buying a violin and learning to play Irish folk music! (I love Flogging Molly)

      Delete
    3. I thought Floggy Molly meant Spanking the Monkey until I googled it. The Music & the Pubs.....Whatever gets you through the night.
      Interesting info here http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/attention-please/201006/the-adhd-brain-quintessential-supercomputer
      So, do you play slide? The left hand, right brain thing. I must work very hard to get my right hand to stop thinking when I practice rhythm. At times I feel like my left hand has ears...

      Delete